Thursday, April 4, 2013

Recent Stitchy Finishes

I have started to collect canvases that I've finished stitching but have not yet sent to be finished.  A few reasons for this.  One, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with them.  Ornament, standup, pillow insert, something even more fabulous.  Two, finishing ain't cheap.  Three, I kind of like admiring my finsihed stitching. :-)

First up is this round thing (!) from Jelly Bean Stock.  I saw it on a shop blog last year when they were having a trunk show and knew I had to have it.  Devin is my buff colored long haired cat who looks exactly like the cat on the canvas.  And my sweet little black cat Angus went to the Rainbow Bridge last year.

I used a variety of fibers on this.  Silk Lame Braid, Pepper Pot Silk (first time for this and now I'm hooked!), Vineyard Silk, Silk and Ivory, Whisper, Impressions and Mandarin Bamboo Floss.  I stitched it all in tent, except for Devin, who I did in random short and long stitches for the first time.  I used Whisper mixed with Impressions, which I really like for fur.  I don't love how my stitching turned out, but I think he looks okay, for my first time. :-)  I'm thinking of having this finished like the sign I posted yesterday and doing as a standup with an easel back.

The next finished, but not totally finished canvas I want to show you is by Susan Roberts.  Again, it has sentimental value.  Angus' favorite time of year was Christmas.  He loved, loved, loved to sit by the Christmas tree and look at the ornaments and lights.  When I hang this on the tree this year, I know a little piece of Angus will be there with me.

It's a Susan Roberts's canvas that I'll have finished an ornament.  I used a variety of fibers, including Mandarin Bamboo Floss, Splendor, Silk Lame Braid, Impressions, Silk and Ivory, River Silks ribbon, perle cotton, and Precious Metals for the garland.  I also was able to do some stitches I've never done, such as French knots and the bows by the window greenery.  I also tried short and long stitches again and think they look a little better than they do on Devin, above.  Don't worry- I'll trim the bow to make it a little smaller when I get it back from the finisher.

Lastly, is a simple little ornament for Mother.  My initals are WWD so obviously my maiden name begins with W.  I saw this little canvas when I was in Atlanta in January.  It was less than the two skeins of thread I bought to use for it so it was a no-brainer kind of purchase. ;)  I thought about keeping it for myself but I knew my husband would ask where the D was for him so I decided to give it to Mother.

I have no idea who the designer is. I stitched the W in Silk Lame Braid (I kinda love this stuff!) and the background in a diagonal mosaic in Pepper Pot.  Thought I'd ask for red and white cording and a big red and white bow on the top to make it look extra special.

No comments:

Post a Comment